Sep 5, 2010

Change of Weather

Freezing!  That's what it's like around here. The last few weeks, we've had weather here in Chicago in the mid to upper 90s, tons of  humidity and sunshine, that the heat index was near 100.  Then of course, a sudden change in weather:  In the last two days, it was in the 60s during the day; the temps last nite was in the 40s. A big change--a 30 degree difference and my fingers are a little frozen. 

Just like my heart.  I've gone cold towards certain people I've known in the last decade.  Have you ever met someone for the first time, and as soon as that person opened their mouth, you were just "turned off" by them?  That you can "smell" their sneaky, dishonest personality? You're hoping you never have to deal with this person again?

What if it turns out that you have NO choice? You have to deal with that "rotten spud" is what I will call him.  It turns out that your best friend decided to go out and keep dating Mr. Rotten Spud and the relationship gets serious.  You try to warn her in an ever subtle way, but hey, it's her life and you can only say so much of how you dislike spoiled taters without breaking your own relationship with her.  After all, it's only a gut feeling I had when I met Mr. Rotten Spud and my woman's instinct kicked in uncontrollably, that there was something just not right with this potato.

So, in the last decade, I had to talk (nice) to Mr. Rotten Spud and include him in our parties and get-togethers, because I really didn't have a choice!!! I was trying to be cool, pretending to "get along" with him all to please my best friend.

My best friend called to tell me that Mr. Rotten Spud was becoming a maggot. ( as if I didn't foresee this) It turns out he was lying to her, being mean to her friends, and actually thinks he's righteous.  I listened to the details unfold in their relationship in the past years. He promised her many things and change his ways, and after so many years) of dealing with "his noise", she was fed up; I grew weary, and emotionally upset with her.  My instinct was right nearly 10 years ago, that Mr. Rotten Spud, couldn't possibly be the right person to stay with her forever.  Should I have spoken up then?  That's my regret now.

Change of weather around here? You bet it got very cold.  My friend who's still with Mr. Rotten Spud, (on and off again) needs to get strong and confident to help herself grow emotionally. I myself quit talking to him as I told her not to bring him here anymore because there's no need for spoiled vegetables--they belong in the garbage!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog!

    Have a nice time!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula,
    Thanks for stopping by and your nice comment!

    ReplyDelete