May 22, 2010

Ladybugs for Adoption?

As I was shocked to see people buying containers of live ladybugs for $20 for a small cup, what I found online was even weirder. Ladybugs for Adoption!

Yes, now I think I've heard it all.  At http://ladybugsforsale.com/ website, they were serious about the availability of the sale or adoption of live ladybugs.  Oh, did I mention, they can name the critters, provide a color photograph and a certificate of authenticity?

Their ladybugs are from Arizona, supposedly. The question is: how do we really know they are natives from Arizona, or did they migrate to that state, illegally? Hmmm.

4 comments:

  1. Have to laugh. I know during the summer the kids here collect them (releasing them later of course) just for fun, but never heard of adopting and paying for them!! Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous23/5/10

    Your post makes me remember something and I thank you for that, because it was a wonderful memory. I remember once when I was a kid, I would venture into the Garden Section of the Target Department Store just to see the ladybugs crawl in their plastic containers. A big price sticker with bold numbers placed on their prison. How I wished one day to own those ladybugs. How I wished to free them into my own garden. Every time I see a ladybug or hear about them, I remember the smell of fresh soil and their helpless escapes from that container. One day I'll buy a container similar to the one I saw when I was a kid and I let those ladybugs fly. Something to add to my bucket list, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen,
    I wouldn't buy or adopt the ladybugs either. They congregate around my windows and doors in the late summer. I can't get rid of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vatche,
    I'm glad to bring you gentle flashbacks from the ladybug post.

    ReplyDelete