Mar 21, 2010

Lesson Plans

Creating lesson plans every Sunday takes up alot of time!  Though I only have to create one grade level, there isn't enough time in a day to be able to check the past week's assignments.  I also have to read the materials, figure out math problems and become creative for next week's lessons.  As a frugal person, I  chose to gather my own textbooks, internet research, library trips, in regards to selecting work for homeschooling.  Even though, at times, I feel "bombarded" with my "own" homework, one of the benefits for me is that I get to re-educate myself on some of the middle grade level lessons on Pre-Algebra, Science, and History, Art, English, etc. 
Over the weekend, I attended a Homeschooling Convention recently in a nearby small town.  It was a small event, and I spoke with many different vendors.  One of the highlights was discovering Math Teaching Textbooks.  The Math Curriculum was created by two brothers who both were graduates from Harvard University.  I sat there for a good hour while the woman explained to me how their program works. One of the homeschooling teenage boy came by and we were able to interview him informally on his experience with Teaching Textbooks.  He gave the curriculum a "thumbs up" for the ease in understanding the materials, the workbooks, the solutions and the option to complete the lessons and tests online or in the included workbook.   The price is a little high, especially for the higher grade levels.  I continue to ponder on purchasing this well-worth it curriculum in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment