Jun 18, 2010

Nordstrom Customer Service Decay

As I was walking thru the Cosmetics Department at Nordstrom, I tried the Kiehl's Creme de Corp lotion from a tester.  I smooth it on my arm and a salesperson quickly began talking about the Kiehl's line and promotions. The lotion had a slight scent and it felt luxurious so I decided to purchase a bottle and walked out of the store and into the mall to the Apple Store and Bare Escentuals Store.

My arm began to itch an hour later so I walked back to Nordstrom to return the lotion.  I approached the salesperson's co-worker and and told her I was returning the lotion I purchased earlier. She was putting inventory away, and briefly acknowledging me, she can continued to put 3 bottles in a drawer below the counter. A clerk from another cosmetic counter stopped by and asked for a lipstick which the salesperson, whom I was waiting for, stopped and helped her. Then the phone rang and she answered it and almost walked away from me so she can look for someone on the sales floor.  I had to ask her to stay and start processing my return since I was here first before the phone rang and before another clerk asked her for help.

It's a bit irritating to me when sales clerks are hired to wait on customers, and provide a service whether it's a return or a sale.  I once worked in retail and we were always told the customer comes first and we only put inventory or perform 'back office" duties when the store is "dead". 

For decades, Nordstrom was known for their outstanding customer service and happy returns. Today, was not one of those days, I guess.  I was turned-off by this salesperson's ignorance and I'm so glad my Nordstrom credit card is paid-off.  I won't be shopping there for a long, long, time.

No comments:

Post a Comment