Jun 15, 2010

I'm Not a Soccer Fan

I'm not a soccer fan because I really don't understand the game.  I mean, obviously, scoring is easy to figure out.  Other than that, I am clueless about the penalties, how the forward, square and backward passes are suppose to look like and all the other complexities of the game. That includes the many different arm movements the referee makes, the yellow or red cards he raises, listening to the long or short whistle calls just to name a few.

At a party over the weekend, a few people were talking about the World Cup, and  at times, referring to it as "futbol". As I overhear their conversation here and there, I wondered which sport they were talking about, football or soccer.  Unlike the NFL Football in the United States, the world of soccer has never really intrigued me until now.

Last Friday,  ESPN started broadcasting the FIFAWorld Cup in 3D on channel 106. On my other post, I wrote about my broken plasma TV.  Now, I have a new TV that supports 3D viewing.  So, naturally I tuned in to watch the soccer games. Soccer is an exciting game, like NFL Football; always moving, fast-action, ball is constantly moved across the field, the strategies of the players reactions. 

To take advantage of this free service from Directv and the 3D technology, I'll be watching futbol or soccer as I prefer to call it (not confuse some Americans) and learn what the flags mean, the penalties and the DFK (direct free kick) while enjoying 3D sports on TV.  By the way, the commercials on 3D TV is absolutely stunning! Beer anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment